Saturday, February 24, 2007

Mildew Wars

We love our apartment. Its in a great location, we don't look out on buildings, and its furnished and cozy. The one hitch is the mildew. Any of you that know me well, know I have a slight allergy problem. As a kid I was fine, then I hit my 20's... I can now produce enough snot for Mike to call me the "Snot Queen" at times.
We noticed the growing mildew problem about three weeks into our stay here. We talked to the landlords, and they claim that no one else has mentioned this problem. Apparently that automatically means its not their problem. We looked into buying a de-humidifier, but those are really expensive (about $200 US dollars). We weren't willing to buy it when for the same amount of money we could be in Italy. So, we opened all the window after showering, when drying clothes, etc. Then I went to work on the walls and ceiling and windows (yes, it was growing on glass!!) with bleach. This helped until winter hit and it was too chilly for open windows all the time.
Then one of the ladies at work mentioned that turning on a heater before you shower and during could help take the moisture out of the air. It did, but it only helped slightly. There was still water on the tile walls after you showered. And my allergies were getting so bad that the one Claritin a day was not working. So... again with the bleach on the ceilings, walls, windows, etc. until I was beginning to feel woozy from the fumes. The bleach and water mixture only worked for about a week, and then the blasted mildew would be out in full force again. It was getting incredibly frustrating since people are coming to visit us and our apartment has mildew all over. All we thought we could do was prepare them for the issue at hand and let them know that it was being battled... in vain.
About three weeks ago I read an article in a magazine about Green cleaning products. It outlined different recipes for making cleaning products that we environmentally friendly and supposedly worked well. I decided to give it a try. It couldn't make it any worse and the bleaching was not working at all, so what the heck. I just did the bathroom that weekend and I am happy to say that the bathroom has stayed mildew free for the three weeks!! The only set back was upon returning from Dublin we found that the decorative wall hangings in the bedroom has mildew starting to grow on them. Thankfully one washing solved the problem, so today its the bedroom that will be scrubbed with salt and vinegar. Doesn't smell all that nice, but its better than the horrid mildew. I cannot wait to live in a mildew free house, in a country where it doesn't rain so much and the humidity levels in the air aren't so high that mildew is a part of everyday life...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait either!! see you in a couple of weeks. love Mom

Anonymous said...

I can't wait either!! see you in a couple of weeks. love Mom

Grace said...

Can you tell Mary's hyper to visit? She posted twice! :)

Just make sure what you have in your apartment is not black mold. That stuff is toxic and causes A LOT of health problems for people.

I guess you have to be really proactive about it, just like I am in spraying down our shower every day with Tilex cuz I HATE cleaning the damn thing.

Please buy our house!!!

Trish said...

I really, really hope that its not black mold, but given whats growing on the outside of them, who knows whats growing on the inside, but we try not to think about that. We only have a few more months of living here and we DO live a lot better than quite a few people here... so I guess thats something.

Anonymous said...

eh...a little mildew never hurt anyone LT. I thought me and your brother made you tougher than that. love you guys.Chris